Yes! Chiropractors are great at mobilization, soft tissue rehabilitation and pain relief and prevent minor and major chronic conditions from happening down the road.
Getting into a car accident can be very serious, even if the impact was not at a high speed. Getting care quickly is best to avoid long-term problems that can occur if left untreated.
When should you see a chiropractor after a car accident?
Getting care as soon as possible is recommended. Within 72 hours after an accident would be the best time to come in for treatment. When it comes to injuries after a car accident, time is of the essence. Permanent damage can occur and scar tissue can develop very quickly without proper treatment in as little as 48 hours. Sometimes you may not feel the symptoms right away because of the shock of the accident but when they do come, they are often severely painful and can become chronic.
Even cars even moving at a slow speed with little impact can have large effects on your body. Cars can weigh 4,000 lbs or more. Having this amount of weight crash into you can shift joints, pull muscles and stretch nerves leading to symptoms. Seat belts do prevent more serious injuries but the just like Einstein discovered E=MC2.
What are the most common injuries after a car accident?
- Low back pain
- Shoulder pain,
- Neck pain
- Arm pain
- Weakness when trying to grip
- Loss of memory
- Bruised ribs
- Soft tissue injuries
- Knee, wrist, hand, foot pain
What are the benefits of seeing a chiropractor after a car accident?
1. Reduces inflammation: After an accident there can be soft tissue micro tears, adhesions, knots and scar tissue that have occurred from the impact in a car accident. Getting adjustments, soft tissue work like Graston Technique or Cold Laser can help with healing naturally.
2. Decreased need for pain medications (opiates or NSAIDS): Studies have shown that use of chiropractic care decreases opioid use by 50%. Treatments help relieve pain naturally.
3. Restores range of motion and mobility: Moving and exercise are important for health. Not moving correctly will lead to injuries and prevent you from getting physical activity. Exercise leads to a lot of health benefits. If your body is not functioning correctly, it will lead to pain or a condition. Even just a light walk may be too much for you. Our treatments help get motion back to joints that are stuck, jammed or not working properly. This will allow you to work, go to school, hang out with friends without being in pain.
We are experts in treating and getting results after a car accident. We use advanced diagnostics with our Insight station to track your body during the treatments and treat your whole body making it easy for you to recover. This machine scans your body using Thermograph, Electromyograph and Heart Rate Variability. These are essential to track movement and system function necessary for healing. The scans are not painful and do not subject you to toxins (like x-ray radiation). We can monitor how your body changes during treatment and can track your progress after treatments.
Here is how our Insight Stress Scan works:
1. Thermograph:This measures heat and temperature changes along the spinal cord and its branching nerves. Temperature changes signifies structural damage. Increased heat means the body is inflamed and healing. It will tell us about new areas of damage and old areas.
2. Electromyograph (EMG): An EMG tests and helps diagnose the health of muscles and the nerve cells that control them called motor neurons. It measures the balance and symmetry of your muscles and shows areas that need to be strengthened or stretched. Areas with high nerve cell activities are normally tight and misaligned while areas with low motor neuron synapses show to be weak and underutilized.
3. Heart Rate Variability: We are all familiar with Apple watches, Ifits that monitor heart rate variability and track our Autonomic Nervous System and how which regulates blood pressure, breathing, digestion and all of our functions that we consciously and unconsciously think about. This device listens to your heart beats, measures your blood flow and skin temperature. This is important to track how stressed your body is and how quickly you will recover after a car accident.
How does Chiropractic help after a car accident?
Here is a great video explaining how our San Carlos and San Francisco Chiropractic specialists can help you after you have been in a car accident:
Here are some tips for what to do after a car accident:
1. Stay calm:
Take some deep breaths for about ten seconds. Having an accident will get your sympathetic nervous system activated and put you in a state of “fight or flight”. Breathing can help you think more clearly after the accident.
2. Make sure you and others are not injured:
Move slowly to make sure you don’t injure yourself. If you are calm, your body should let you know if it is okay. If your adrenaline is going, it may not be easy to see if you are injured so slowly focus on breathing again and take it easy. If there is someone injured, don’t move them unless they are in danger of being hurt again or if the car is at risk of fire.
3. Put your hazard lights on:
If you have time, put up warning flares, cones or triangles to make sure people know you are there and prevent any further injuries. If there are no injuries, please get out of traffic if possible and move cars out of the way to a safe place.
4. Call the police and take notes about the accident and pictures if able:
This allows you to have the incident written down fresh after the accident when your recollection is clear. Make sure to contact your insurance company regarding damage to the car and if there is an injury let them know. Some policies have Medical Pay on them and if you don’t have it on your policy, I would suggest getting it. It covers your care after an accident.
5. Exchange insurance information:
If the name on the auto registration and/or insurance policy is different from the name of the driver, establish the relationship of the driver to the insurance policy and get as much information as possible for the accident report. You won’t see this person again so it is key to get the information at the scene.
Dr. Amie Gregory DC, CCEP accepts Medical Pay on your car insurance, works with attorneys on a lien and accepts all PPO insurances. She also accepts FSA and HSA. If you do not have insurance affordable cash plans can be created if you need them so you can get back to health quickly and safely. Contact our San Francisco Chiropractic or San Carlos, CA Chiropractic office today!