Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic is in business to provide you with a broad variety of health and wellness services. To meet your needs and serve you well, Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic needs to know about your personal information, the details of which can differ depending on the types of health and wellness services you require.
You, as an individual, have a right to know how Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic, collects, uses and discloses personal information. You have a right to expect that, to the best of our ability, your personal information held by us remains accurate, confidential and secure.
Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic is proud of its reputation in maintaining the confidentiality and security of personal information. We’ve provided this policy to explain to you how Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic protects the privacy of individual candidates’ personal information in Canada.
The need for trust
Trust comes with confidence. The more you know about us, the more confident you can feel about dealing with Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic.
How we collect your information
Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic only collects, uses and discloses personal information for purposes that would be considered reasonable in the circumstances and only such personal information as is required for the purposes of providing our services. Personal information is collected directly from the person concerned, his or her authorized representatives or from other medical training, licensing, regulatory or credential verification organizations. We use only fair and lawful methods to collect personal information.
Our use of personal information is limited to the purposes described in this Policy or otherwise identified to you at the time of collection. We do not otherwise sell, trade, barter, exchange or disclose for consideration any personal information we obtain.
How we use your personal information
Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic collects and uses your personal information for the following purposes only:
- To determine your eligibility for our products and services
- To process your application to, and manage, the various Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic examinations
- To verify your medical credentials and compile your credentials information
- To link your identity to your medical credentials
- To maintain a record of various credential documents against which to compare other applicants’ documentation
- To process payments for services
- To set up, manage and offer other products and services that meet your needs
- To provide you with ongoing service
- To meet our legal and regulatory requirements
- To investigate and adjudicate insurance claims
- To understand your needs
- To analyze the suitability of our products or services for you
- Other purposes consistent with the above purposes
We will only ask for personal information that we need and when we ask you for additional personal information, we’ll let you know why we need it.
When and to whom we may disclose your personal information
Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic may disclose your personal information to:
- Individuals or organizations who are our service providers
- Individuals or organizations who are involved in maintaining, reviewing and developing our business systems, procedures and infrastructure including testing or upgrading our computer systems
- Other licensing, regulatory, educational, training, credentials verification authorities, hospitals, clinics and other medical facilities and organizations that utilize the services of chiropractors, physiotherapists, registered massage therapists, naturopaths, physicians, government agencies (local, provincial, federal or foreign), law enforcement agencies or other third parties and organizations, and their representatives, who in the opinion of Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic have a legitimate interest in such information
- Any other person or organization you authorize us to disclose to pursuant to any document you have executed and delivered to Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic
Where Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic discloses personal information to organizations that perform services on its behalf, we will require those service providers to use such personal information solely for the purposes of providing services to Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic or the person concerned and to have appropriate safeguards for the protection of that personal information.
Please note that there are circumstances where Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic is permitted or obliged, under applicable privacy legislation, to disclose personal information without consent. Such circumstances include:
- Where required by law or by order or requirement of a court, administrative agency or governmental tribunal
- Where Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic believes, upon reasonable grounds, that it is necessary to protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of an identifiable person or group
- Where it is necessary to establish or collect monies owing to Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic
- Where it is necessary to permit Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic to pursue available remedies or limit any damages that we may sustain
- Where the information is public
A record is kept each time personal information is disclosed, noting the nature of the disclosure, the date and the identity of the party to whom the disclosure was made, provided that individual records of disclosure are not maintained for regular or routine actions such as transfers of personal information to businesses acting as agents of Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic, and other medical licensing bodies and medical associations.
Except as permitted under applicable privacy legislation, this Policy or any documents that you have executed and delivered to Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic that reference this Policy, Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic won’t collect, use or disclose your personal information without your consent.
By providing personal information to Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic you agree and consent that we may collect, use and disclose your personal information in accordance with this Policy and any documents that you have executed and delivered to Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic that reference this Policy.
You can refuse to consent to our collection, use or disclosure of personal information about you, or withdraw your consent to our further collection, use or disclosure of personal information at any time by giving us reasonable notice provided your refusal or withdrawal of consent does not limit our ability to provide our services, to comply with applicable law with respect to the personal information in our possession or limit any rights we have under this Policy or any documents that you have executed and delivered to Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic that reference this Policy.
If you do not want Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic to contact you by email, mail or by phone or share your personal information with other Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic partners , such as Canadian Chiropractic Association, you may make the necessary arrangements through the offices of Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic subject to any rights we may have to disclose your personal information under applicable law, this Policy or any documents that you have executed and delivered to Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic in connection with this Policy.
The need for accuracy
While Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic tries to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date, Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic does not routinely update your personal information, unless required. Therefore, it is in your best interests to inform Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic promptly of any changes in your personal information. Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic will, from time to time, verify the personal information that you provide as part of its routine process of credentials verification. This may include verifying other elements of your personal information with associated stakeholders.
If you believe that personal information in your records may be inaccurate, we make it easy for you to access, verify and update it. If incorrect personal information has been provided to third parties, we will convey the corrected information to them, if necessary. If we do not agree to change your personal information, you may challenge our decision. We will make a record of this challenge, and if necessary, disclose the challenge to third parties who also possess the personal information.
Retention of your personal information
We keep your personal information only as long as it is required for the reasons it was collected. The length of time Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic retains your personal information varies, depending on the purpose for which it was collected and the nature of the information. This period may extend beyond the end of your relationship with Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic but it will be only for so long as it is necessary for us to have sufficient information to respond to any issues that may arise at a later date. When your personal information is no longer required for our purposes, procedures are in place to destroy, delete, erase or convert it into an anonymous form.
Currently, the principal place in which Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic holds your personal information is in the clinic office located at 102-6135 Metral Drive, Nanaimo, BC.
Access to your personal information
Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic allows you to access and review your personal information held by us and will endeavour to provide the personal information in question within a reasonable time, generally no later than 30 days following the request.
To review your personal information that Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic has about you, simply make a written request to our office. The personal information will be obtained from the candidate’s records at Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic and will normally be provided within 30 days of your request. There may be a charge for retrieving a complete list of personal information, in which case you will be notified in advance and you may, at that time, withdraw your request.
If you have a sensory disability, on request, we will give you access to your personal information in an alternative format if available. If it is necessary and if we can reasonably do so, we will convert the personal information into an alternative format.
Sometimes, Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic will not provide you with your personal information that is within its control. For example, Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic will not provide you with personal information in its control if:
- It would disclose personal information, including opinions, about another individual or about a deceased individual
- It would disclose trade secrets or other business confidential or proprietary information of Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic
- It would interfere with contractual or other negotiations of Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic or a third party
- It is subject to solicitor-client, litigation or other legal privilege
- It is not readily retrievable and the burden or cost of providing would be disproportionate to the nature or value of the information
- It does not exist, is not held, or cannot be found by Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic
- It may harm or interfere with law enforcement activities and other investigative or regulatory functions of a body authorized by law to perform such functions
- It may be withheld or is requested to be withheld under applicable legislation
If Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic denies your request for access to personal information, you will be told why, unless prohibited by law. You may challenge that decision. Once you have the personal information, all you have to do is check it for accuracy and let us know if there are any corrections required. If appropriate supporting documentation is provided, we will correct our records or make note of any differences. If personal information has been provided to third parties, we will convey the corrected information or note any differences to them, if necessary.
The need for security
To feel secure, you need to know who within Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic is protecting your privacy.
Ultimately, senior management is responsible for protecting candidates’ personal information in its control. They delegate day-to-day responsibility to others within Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic
Every Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic employee, as a condition of employment, takes responsibility for protecting the privacy, confidentiality and security of personal information. This obligation remains in effect even after an employee leaves Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic
Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic also has extensive controls to maintain the security of its operations and information systems. Physical access to those areas where personal information is gathered, processed or stored is restricted to authorized employees. Appropriate controls are in place over computer systems and data processing procedures and these controls are reviewed on an ongoing basis to ensure compliance with our security and privacy policies.
Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic destroys or erases any personal information when it is no longer needed. When personal information is destroyed or erased, Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic takes care that there is no unauthorized access.
In short, our staff is committed and our systems are designed to protect your privacy and confidentiality.
You agree that if, in the opinion of Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic, acting reasonably, it believes you have published false, untrue, misleading or defamatory comments about any practitioner, service or Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic, you shall be deemed to have waived any patient confidentiality to the extent the clinic/practitioner deems it necessary to publish it in order to defend its reputation.
Questions or concerns
Questions or concerns about: (i) access to your personal information; (ii) our collection, use, management or disclosure of personal information; or (iii) this Policy; should be made in writing and directed to the Privacy Officer at [email protected], or 102-6135 Metral Drive Nanaimo BC V9T 2L7
It is an unfortunate reality of the present Internet that communications carried over it are neither secure nor verifiable. Please do not send personal information by email. If your concern is still not resolved to your complete satisfaction, please contact the Federal Privacy Commissioner at (toll free): 1-800-282-1376.