Whiplash is a neck injury that results from a rapid back and forth neck movement. Many times, whiplash is caused by rear-end car accidents. However, whiplash can occur from sports accidents and even physical abuse. It can take a few weeks for a person that has experienced whiplash to get better. Chiropractic care can help with whiplash pain. At Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic in Nanaimo, BC, our chiropractor provides natural treatment options for whiplash and other ailments.
Causes and Symptoms
Whiplash injuries may result from a few things, such as:
- Car accidents: A major cause of whiplash is rear end car accidents.
- Assault or physical abuse: If you have been shaken or punched, whiplash can occur. It is one of the main injuries seen in shaken baby syndrome.
- Sports: Sports that involve in a lot of contact can cause whiplash, such as football and rugby.
The symptoms of whiplash vary based on the severity of the injury. However, some of the most common symptoms are:
- Stiffness and neck pain
- Pain that increases with neck movement
- Headaches that mainly begin at the base of the skull
- Pain or tenderness in the upper back, arms, or shoulder
- Loss of range of motion in the neck
- Numbness or tingling felt in the arms
Some people with severe cases may also experience:
- Memory issues
- Sleep disruptions
- Ringing in the ears
- Blurred vision
- Issues with concentration
Most people do not experience any lasting effects resulting from whiplash and make a full recovery within a few weeks. However, there are some people that may experience pain for months or even years following whiplash. If you already experienced intense symptoms at the beginning of the injury, you are more likely to experience complications, such as:
- Neck pain that is severe in nature
- Range of motion that is more limited
- Pain that goes into the arms
How Our Nanaimo Chiro Can Help
Chiropractic care is beneficial in treating whiplash. There are a variety of techniques that may be used to treat whiplash. The type of treatment you receive will depend on the severity of your whiplash injury. Spinal manipulation is the most common technique performed by our chiropractor for whiplash injuries. Some others are:
- Massage therapy
Schedule an Appointment for Chiropractic Care in Nanaimo, BC
If you are experiencing whiplash symptoms, we can help. At Woodgrove Pines Wellness Clinic, our chiropractor in Nanaimo will alleviate your whiplash pain and help your body heal. We are happy to answer any questions you have. Call us today to schedule an appointment.